I fixed my technical difficulties from last week and now have pictures in my previous blog. Please go directly to my blog site (jhageman10.blogspot.com) and scroll down to see these photos. I have found a few photos of mudhead dolls and kachina dolls if you are curious about what those look like. I have also posted more pictures in the New Mexico photo album on the top right side of the blog page. If you are receiving this via email and would like to look at the photo album please go to the actual blog site (jhageman10.blogspot.com) to access the photo album. Thanks for reading my blog!!
This week has been a bit less activity filled than the past two weeks. I have started buckling down to work on all of the school projects I need to get done while I am on this clinical. As usual things take 3x longer than I estimate. I’ve either been in clinic or working on my projects. In addition to my school projects I am increasing my patient case load in the clinic which keeps me pretty busy researching cases at night. Since I’m in the clinic so much right now I’ve noticed that they play KSHI radio (Keshi = Welcome or Hello in Zuni) in the hospital. The radio station is across the street next door to the student apartments. They play a mix of every genre you’ve ever heard of and even those you never knew existed. They had “Eye of the Tiger” playing one morning at 7:30am followed by Celine Dion and next by country and it is like that all day every day. Funny and random.
The Radio Station
Outside of clinic and projects, I’m still attending classes at the Wellness Center and just found out they have a punch card. If you fill it all out you get a prize! I’m working toward that and have 17 more punches to go. The Wellness Center is across the parking lot from the hospital. When I go over after clinic I can hear the beat of the aerobics music all the way from the hospital. There are 4 rooms which include an entry way, a room for spinning, a room for aerobics and a weight/cardio room. They don’t allow muddy shoes in the building and are pretty particular about no muddy shoes on the treadmills. I’ve been taking Zumba taught by Sybert and his classes fill up so I’ve learned to arrive early. The classes are very energetic and the participants often hoot and holler during class, which is entertaining. I’m not sure I actually follow the moves correctly; I usually just wiggle around trying to mimic Sybert and end up getting a workout in the process.
The Wellness Center
I was invited to participate in learning and doing a traditional harvest dance for the hospital staff. This is funny because as many of you know I’m a ridiculously bad dancer. They were looking for hospital staff to participate and so I may be learning the Zuni harvest dance. If this happens, I was told they take pictures that I can show people. Oh fantastic...pictures. I must look like a good dancer or something because my clinical instructor also recently asked me to demonstrate hula hooping to a 4 year old with whom we were working. It was pretty funny. The 4 year old who had a developmental delay was far better than any of the rest of us. I was always much better at the pogo ball than the hula hoop anyway.
The PT Gym and Offices
Saturday I decided to take a break, get out and enjoy nice temperatures on a day with less wind. My roommate and I drove about an hour east of Zuni to El Morro. El Morro a national monument next door to the little town of El Morro. Upon entering the visitor center we found out that it was national park week and entry was free. Perfect. The historical draw of El Morro is a precipitation fed pond sheltered by the rocks where caravans and those passing through this arid land would stop and water their horses. It was the only water within 30 miles. Many of these travelers also carved their names into the bluff. The oldest of these inscriptions is from 1605 by Don Juan de Onate. The area was also home to Pueblo Indians during the 13th and 14th centuries. They carved petroglyphs into the bluff and made their home atop the bluff where there still remain ruins of the ~800 room town. After our hike around El Morro we went to a funny little cafe we had been told was pretty good. They have homemade pies, coffee, a variety of breakfast and lunch options but they are best known for their supper specials. We arrived too early for supper so we had pie and coffee while we waited for supper-time to arrive. For supper they serve one option, the special, and it proved to be a fantastic gourmet meal. I never would have expected this from this funny looking little café. Plus, they have wifi!
El Morro and the Funny Little Cafe with Great Food
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment